Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Personal tools

You are here: Home > About Courts > The Judges > Complaints


The Judicial Conduct Commissioner and Judicial Conduct Panel Act 2004 came into effect on 1 August 2005. To make a complaint about the conduct of a judge, you should write to the Judicial Conduct Commissioner

The Judicial Conduct Commissioner receives all complaints made against judges, but where the complaint would not if proven, justify the removal of the judge, the Judicial Conduct Commissioner must either dismiss the complaint or refer it to the relevant Head of Bench. The Head of Bench will consider the complaint in accordance with the judicial complaints process that existed prior to the commencement of the Act.

The complaints process cannot be used to complain about a judge's decision. Disagreements with judges' decisions are dealt with through the judicial system. The decision can usually be appealed or judicially reviewed.

You might be interested in:

Document Actions

New Zealand Government Online