Waitangi Tribunal: Past Alert Level 1 COVID-19 Protocol
Chairperson Judge Wilson Isaac
9 June 2020
1. This protocol will take effect at 8:00 am on Wednesday 10 June 2020. It should be read in conjunction with the Government’s COVID-19 Alert System Level 1 measures.
2. At Level 1, the Waitangi Tribunal will carry out all of its scheduled work and return to normal operation.
3. The use of remote participation will remain available for use in appropriate cases, to be determined by Presiding Officers on a case-by-case basis.
4. Filing of applications and other Tribunal documents may be made either in person at the Tribunal counter or electronically at Level 1.
5. If an applicant, respondent, counsel or any other persons required or proposing to attend a hearing are unwell, they should not attend Court. If this applies, the presiding officer should be advised so that alternative arrangements for the appearance may be made.
6. The Ministry of Justice will provide the hygiene measures described on their website.
7. Any concerns about health and safety practices in the Tribunal should be raised with the Tribunal Registrar in the first instance.
8. At Alert Level 1, it remains possible that a new cluster of COVID-19 community transmission may be confirmed within the location served by a courthouse. In that event the Tribunal will rely on official advice. Steps may be taken to reduce in-person attendances at the Tribunal to help protect those working or appearing there. The extent of any reduction will depend on the circumstances and official advice or notices.
9. If a location is required to return to Alert Level 2, 3 or 4, the Tribunal is now better equipped for remote participation.