Waitangi Tribunal: COVID-19 Past Alert Level 3 Protocol (Auckland region)
Chairperson Wilson Isaac
12 August 2020
1. This protocol will take effect when New Zealand, or any region of New Zealand, moves to Level 3 of the COVID-19 Alert System. It should be read in conjunction with the Government’s COVID-19 Alert System Level 3 restrictions.
2. All in-person hearings scheduled by the Tribunal in any region that moves to Level 3 of the Alert System will be adjourned while that region is at Level 3.
3. Any judicial conferences and panel meetings in a region that is at Level 3 may still take place, where they can be held either by telephone conference, audio-visual link (AVL) or another form of video conferencing. Presiding Officers may also explore with parties and with the Tribunal administration the possibility of scheduling hearings remotely via these methods, where that is practically possible.
4. Waitangi Tribunal Presiding Officers, members and staff located in a region that moves to Level 3 will, where possible, work from home. Where it is necessary for staff to travel to the Tribunal to attend to certain registrarial functions, such as updating the record of inquiry, they will do so.
5. Should the Wellington region move to Level 3, all filing with the Waitangi Tribunal office must be made either electronically or by post. Documents will not be able to be received for filing in person at the Tribunal’s Wellington office at this level of the Alert System.