Māori Land Court: Current COVID-19 Protocol
Chief Judge Wilson Isaac
8 October 2020
1. This protocol will take effect when New Zealand, or any region of New Zealand, is at Level 1 of the Covid-19 Alert System. It should be read in conjunction with the Government’s Covid-19 Alert System Level 1 measures.
2. At Level 1, the Māori Land Court will carry out all of its scheduled work and return to normal operation.
3. The use of remote participation will remain available for use in appropriate cases, such as for purely procedural matters, to be determined on a case-by-case basis.
4. Filing of applications and other Court documents may be made either in person at the Court counter or electronically at Level 1. Filing fees will also be able to be paid either at the counter or electronically from any location.
5. If an applicant, respondent, counsel or any other persons required or proposing to attend a hearing are unwell, they should not attend Court. If this applies, the presiding judge should be advised so that alternative arrangements for the appearance may be made.
6. Māori Land Court hearings will be open to the public. Physical distancing, the wearing of masks and the use of the NZ COVID Tracer App or a personal record to track your attendance at Court is strongly encouraged.
7. The Ministry of Justice will provide the hygiene measures described on their website.
8. Any concerns about health and safety practices in the Court should be raised with the Court Manager in the first instance.
9. At Alert Level 1, it remains possible that a new cluster of Covid-19 community transmission may be confirmed within the location served by a courthouse. In that event the Court will rely on official advice. Steps may be taken to reduce in-person attendances at the Court to help protect those working or appearing there. The extent of any reduction will depend on the circumstances and official advice or notices.
10. If a location is required to return to Alert Level 2, 3 or 4, the Court is now better equipped for remote participation.
The information on this page reflects the current COVID-19 alert levels. For Māori Land Court protocols during past alert levels, please refer to:
Protocol during Alert Level 1 (Rest of the country) and Alert Level 2 (Auckland Region) issued 3 September 2020
Protocol during Alert Level 3 (August 2020, Auckland region)
Protocol during Alert Level 1
Protocol during Alert Level 2 (May-June 2020)
Protocol during Alert Level 3 (April-May 2020)
Protocol during Alert Level 4