File and Pay
Courts will no longer accept or process cheques after 31 May 2021. Refer to the Ministry of Justice website for alternative payment methods.
File and Pay provides an online alternative to filing documents and paying fees in person at a courthouse or by post.
Courts that can currently accept electronic document filing and payment through File and Pay are the Supreme Court, Court of Appeal and the High Court. File and Pay can also be used to pay for three District Court filing types: dissolution of marriage, civil enforcement and civil proceedings (noting that for these filings, the paper application must be provided to the court).
How to use file and pay
You can use this service to file documents and make payment, or to only file documents (for example, if you are also applying for a fee waiver), or to only make payment (for example, if you are required to send a paper filing to the court).
Your application will not be accepted for filing until your documents are checked for compliance, and payment has been confirmed. We will contact you if we have any questions relating to your filing.
If you are required to send a physical copy of your filing to the court, please attach a copy of the receipt you will receive following successful payment.
What the process involves
1. Before you start, you will need
- All applicable documentation for the filing type.
- Allowed formats: DOCs, XLS, IMGs, PDFs.
- The maximum file size is 50MB.
- Up to 10 files can be uploaded
- The maximum total upload is 100MB.
- A debit card OR credit card
- Documentation to support non-payment, for example a fee waiver application, liquidator’s certificate, or reference number from prior payment.
2. Complete the Online Form
- Complete all form fields (unless marked as optional).
- Indicate if the filing is part of a combined filing (i.e. more than one application or filing for the same case that each require a fee to be paid).
- Select the relevant fee option.
- Add all relevant documents.
- Click submit to complete your filing.
- Follow the instructions on the Windcave Payment screen (if payment is required).
3. Receive your confirmation e-mail and receipt
- Check your e-mail to ensure you have received your confirmation e-mail.
- The e-mail will contain your receipt. Please keep this for your records.
- If you are required to send a physical copy of your filing to the court, please ensure that you attach a copy of the receipt as proof of payment.