The Old High Court
11 April 1881
On 11 April 1881, 140 years ago, a grand new court building opened in Wellington. The Supreme Court building (aka the Old High Court) in Stout Street was officially opened by Chief Justice Prendergast.
Te Whiti o Rogomai, Riwha Ritokowaru and 8 others
In 1886, Te Whiti o Rongomai, the prophet of Parihaka, Ngāti Ruanui leader Riwha Titokowaru and eight others appeared in the dock of the Old High Court.
Dark times - seven executions and countless floggings. Sentences handed down in the Old High Court.
The pipe, the rubbish bin and the Judge's head
When a permanent home for the new Supreme Court was planned, on the Lambton Quay end of the block, restoration of the Old High Court was undertaken.