Earthquake list Christchurch
In 2011 the High Court made a commitment that earthquake-related cases would be dealt with as swiftly as the Court's resources permit. In fulfilment of that commitment the Court established the Earthquake List to manage earthquake-related litigation.
The Earthquake List is overseen by the Hon Justice Gendall, the Hon Justice Osborne and Associate Judge Lester who are supported by Judicial Support Advisor Jeremy Kaye.
Earthquake List cases receive fast track case management through to trial and priority is given to cases which are urgent or which raise issues with precedential value.
Upon filing, earthquake-related cases (including judicial review and summary judgment applications) are referred to the Judicial Support Advisor for classification and whether they should be entered on the Earthquake List.
A table of all cases entered on the Earthquake list and their status is updated on a quarterly basis. If you have any queries, please contact the Judicial Support Advisor Jeremy Kaye.
Purpose of the High Court Earthquake list
The list was established in the High Court to manage litigation resulting from the Canterbury earthquakes
Latest Earthquake litigation list
Electronic Courts - Practice notes
Due to the nature and size of documents involved in any earthquake cases that go to trial, earthquake proceedings are ideal to be run as electronic courts. This means the common bundle and case book filed is in electronic, instead of hardcopy paper, format. If you would like to request an electronic court please seek a direction from the Judge when you first request a trial be allocated.
Memo & Protocols - Experts
From the Chief High Court Judge
The High Court is pleased to release reports on the operation of the Christchurch Earthquake list:
- Christchurch Earthquake litigation list report as at 30 September 2020 (pdf, 366 KB)
- Christchurch Earthquake litigation list report as at 30 September 2019 (pdf, 261 KB)
- Christchurch Earthquake litigation list report as at 30 September 2018 (pdf, 210 KB)
- Christchurch Earthquake litigation list report as at 30 September 2017 (pdf, 499 KB)
- Christchurch Earthquake litigation list report as at 30 September 2016 (pdf, 395 KB)
- Christchurch Earthquake litigation list report as at 30 September 2015 (pdf, 2.4 MB)
- Christchurch Earthquake litigation list report as at 30 September 2014 (pdf, 1.7 MB)
New Zealand Law Society
The New Zealand Law Society High Court Earthquake page is useful for lawyers as well as self-represented litigants and contains an up-to-date list of all published Earthquake Judgments and a case summary of each case. The full judgments can be obtained from Judicial Decisions Online.
The articles and speeches in this section are the authors’ own and do not represent the view of any one or body beyond that:
- Nina Khouri “Civil justice responses to natural disaster: New Zealand’s Christchurch High Court Earthquake List” (2017) 36 (3) CJQ 316. Permission to post online granted by Civil Justice Quarterly and its publishers, Sweet & Maxwell.
- Speech by Kós J about the Canterbury earthquakes and their legal aftermath (PDF, 236 KB)